WORKSHOP ON THE USE OF THE MASK BASED ON BALINESE TOPENG AND BY ITALIAN COMMEDIA DELL’ARTE TECNIQUES
This workshop aims to give insights into the transformative nature of the body-mind in order to become a true character. In the beginning, the exploration of the Balinese dance techniques allow us to connect with the source of movement for purpos; then you can search for new body shapes and characters through using the improvisation techniques of Balinese Topeng and Commedia dell’ Arte.
- Physical warming-up exercises.
- Learning the basic techniques and codes of Balinese dance-how to walk, first elements of Balinese dance movements.
- Searching for the source of energy that brings the mask to life.
- Keras and manis (strong and refined energy)- understanding the two poles through which bodily energy is transmitted in Topeng.
- Exploring elements of Commedia dell’Arte technique.
- Combining Balinese and Western (Commedia dell’Arte) mask performance principles and techniques.
- Use of the mask-how to move wearing a mask.
- Beyond the technique - how to go beyond the technique of Balinese dance-theatre and Commedia dell’Arte and apply their principles in order to construct a character in a personal dimension.
- Exploring the relation between rhythm and body movement.
- Improvising characters using masks.
- Individual characters in interaction. Putting it all together; sharing the results.
Room suitable for practicing with bare feet.
TIME-FRAME- from 4 to 20 hours.
This workshop can be tailored for all sorts of participants- it can be a master class for performers; a professional development programme for teachers; an introduction for those with a general interest.
Also suitable for schools; as a 20-minutes version or as a 30-hours cultural project with a final performance.
Mask Making workshops can be also included.